Birth Name: Michael Brown
Birthdate: March 5, 1970
Birthplace: Columbus, Ohio
- Wife, Carolyn
- Has three children
- The family lives in Orange County
- Mesa Community College
- University of San Diego (1992)
Other Coaches Considered for Brown's Position
- Former Houston Rockets coach Rick Adelman
- Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw
Mike Brown Career History:
- On May 31, 2011, in El Segundo, during a news conference, Mike Brown was introduced as the new head coach for the Los Angeles Lakers--succeeding popular long-time Lakers coach Phil Jackson (who retired at the end of the season)
- Worked with ESPN as a studio analyst (2010)
- Was fired as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers (2010)
- Coach of the Eastern Conference All-Star team (2009)
- Head coach with the Cleveland Cavaliers (2005)
- Assistant coach to Rick Carlisle with the Indiana Pacers (2003)
- Assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs (2000)
Star Basketball Players Coached by Mike Brown:
- LeBron James (for five seasons in Cleveland)
Personal Facts Related to Mike Brown
- Brown joked with comedian/host George Lopez about his eldest son Elijah's interest in the Kardashians, Kendall and Kylie Jenner--saying he could use Lamar Odom's connections
- He says he takes heat from his colleagues because his wife always matches his glasses to his suit
- He won 'best dressed' in high school
Distinctions and Honors:
- Named NBA Coach of the Year--after leading the Cavaliers to a franchise best 66–16 record (2009)
- Named Eastern Conference Coach of the Month (January, 2008)
- Under Brown, the Cavaliers defeated the Detroit Pistons in the Eastern Conference Finals and advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in their history (2007)
- Won a championship with San Antonio as their assistant coach (2003)
Reactions to Brown Being Named Lakers Coach
- One source said that Lakers star Kobe Bryant was "surprised" to hear that Brown had been chosen; he had been a supporter of Lakers assistant coach Brian Shaw's bid for the position
- The Los Angeles Times Lakers Blog did a post on the Twitter reactions to Brown's ascent; they ranged from "surprised" and "shocked with how quickly it went his way," to "excited about our new coach" and "Mike Brown doesn't feel altogether right for me in LA"
- Mo Williams said: "I think it is a good hire"
- LeBron James said: "I think the Lakers got them a great coach. Mike Brown was a great coach. He gave us success that we hadn't had before in that city"
- Magic Johnson said: "He's a defensive coach, familiar with the West and has experience coaching a superstar"
Mike Brown's Style:
Brown is known for his defensive concepts and 'slow-it-down' game style. He has a reputation as a 'nice guy' and has been seen by his critics as a 'pushover' and "a nitwit when it comes to offense" (according to SI.com).
Mike Brown Quotes:
“You always hear all the talk about team chemistry. I used to think, Dang, what do they mean by that? Chemistry is so broad. So I tried to find the simplest way to define chemistry. To me, chemistry equals trust."
"You only have to think of eleven great speeches to get guys fired up if you're a college football coach. It's different in basketball. With an eighty-two-game regular season and ten preseason games and the playoffs, guys have to have something within them to get themselves going."
Quotes above are from an October, 2011 Esquire interview.